This is the home of merengue. ¡A bailar! It’s often referred to as the oldest nation in the Caribbean, and shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. The Dominican Republic is lively and full of amazing sights and activities for travellers, so we definitely recommend a trip!
In Santo Domingo, the capital, you must visit the Colonial section, Plaza de la Cultura, Palacio de Bellas Artes, and Museo de Las Casas Reales. There is also El Alcázar, Fortaleza de Santo Domingo, Panteón Nacional, Catedral Primada de la América, the tomb of Christopher Columbus, Faro a Colón to name a few. You can also “lyme” at any of the merengue and reguetón spots along the Malecón, and you will be guaranteed a good time, plus if you’re a real nature buff, The Three-Eyed Cave is a definite must-see!
February – (official days to be announced):
- Procigar Festival (cigars)
- Master of the Ocean (water sports contest)
- La Vega Carnival
- Santo Domingo Carnival – February – March
- Punta Cana Carnival – March
- Santo Domingo (biennial) Music Festival – March
- Santo Domingo International Book Fair – April – May
- Merengue Festival – August
- Design Caribbean – September
- Dominicana Moda – October
- Dominican Republic Jazz Festival – November
- Global Dominican Film Festival – November